Pro CSS for High Traffic Websites
Available from Apress and published in mid-2011, this book explores the challenges of working in large teams, on websites that receive considerable traffic.
Rather than focusing on the latest and flashiest techniques for image replacement or cross-browser rounded corners, it is concerned with improving the performance of your website (both for your users' and your organisation's benefit), making it easy for newcomers to teams to easily comprehend and add to existing code and for CSS within your infrastructure to be considered from the outset and built in a sane and performant manner.
Contents at a Glance
- Chapter 1: The Value of Process
- Chapter 2: CSS Style Guide
- Chapter 3: Fundamentals
- Chapter 4: Frameworks and Integration
- Chapter 5: Brand Implementation
- Chapter 6: CSS and Accessibility
- Chapter 8: Performance
- Chapter 9: Dynamic CSS
- Chapter 10: Testing and Debugging
- Chapter 11: Creating Your CSS
- Appendix 1: CSS Standards Guide
- Appendix 2: Accessibility Guidelines
- Appendix 3: Browser Support Guidelines
- Appendix 4: Development Process
In order to demonstrate the suggestions and tips put forward in the book, an example website for the fictional company Igloo Refrigerator Parts Inc was created. In this example site, all the book's chapters are put to practical use.
Photography kindly provided by Paddy Donnelly.